Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cambridge: Week 3

Week 3:


Academically, week 3 was mostly spent writing my final paper for my Varieties of English class.  I chose the task of determining my own idiolect, which is basically the way I speak (vocab, pronunciation, grammar, etc.).  It was actually pretty interesting and I got to interview my family members to try and figure out what features I share with which person.  On Wednesday I played Badminton, and that was really fun!  Unfortunately my wrist and forearm were a bit sore the next day, but it was totally worth it.  On Thursday I went on a tour of the Classical Archaeological Museum.  This museum is the upper floor of the Cambridge faculty building for Classics.  It's basically a collection of casts of famous sculptures from around the world, to aid Classics students in their learning.  Admission is free (which always makes things better!) and not many tourists know about it, so there were very few people there!  On Sunday, I went to London through my program (called PKP for Pembroke-King's Programme).  My friend and I went to the Victoria and Albert Museum, which was really fun!  It's not as popular as other museums in London, so it was very crowded, which was fantastic!  It had a wide collection of exhibits, including a very large glass one, and was HUGE.  We spent only a couple of hours there and I feel like we barely scratched the surface.  After that we met up with some other friends and explored Harrods for a bit and saw tons of things that are WAY out of my price range.  Did you know they even sell puppies there?  In the evening, we met back up with the program to see "All's Well That Ends Well" at the Globe.  Little did we know that the program provided us with standing tickets.  There are pros and cons to standing tickets.  The pro is that you have the best "seat" in the house, as we were very close to the actors and had a great view.  The slightly larger con is the pain from standing for 3 hours.  Also, standing tickets are only 5 pounds!  So if you're interested in seeing a cheap play at the Globe, opt for the standing tickets.  Although it was a very authentic experience, I think if I returned I'd pay a little more for a seat.  It was definitely a fun day though and I enjoyed the little piece of London I got to see!  It is also worth noting that this is the week I got hooked on Arrested Development and watched an unmentionable amount of episodes (another reason it took me so long to write these blog entries...=D).  

1 comment: