Friday, August 19, 2011

Cambridge: Week 6

Trivia on Monday evening was fun.  On Tuesday I got to go on a tour of the Wren library in the afternoon.  The Wren library is the library of Trinity College, which is one of the richest and most famous colleges of Cambridge.  There's a lot of construction going on in Trinity this summer, so no visitors are allowed, so getting to go to the library on the campus was an even bigger deal!  The library has the original manuscript of Winnie the Pooh, original copies of Newton's books, and even a lock of Newton's hair (which is kind of weird and creepy if you ask me).  In the evening I watched Monty Python's "Life of Brian," which is the first Monty Python movie I've seen.  Interesting humor, but I'm not sure if it's quite my type.  On Wednesday I went to a plenary lecture in the evening, with the topic being "Is the Internet Dumbing us down?"  I understand now why I have such a hard time concentrating on things for long periods of time =).  Thursday I watched "Submarine" and it was interesting.  On Saturday, three friends and I took the train into Canterbury and spent the day exploring the city.  We went to the Canterbury Cathedral, on a river boat tour, and on a ghost tour in the evening.  Canterbury is a cute little city, but I'm starting to think a lot of the English towns look very similar to each other.  On Sunday we went to Dover, which I found more interesting than Canterbury.  We spent the first part of our day in the Dover Castle, which was really cool!  The castle is absolutely huge and there is soooo much to see.  My favorite part was the secret underground war tunnels, which were used extensively during WWII, especially to bring troops back from France to escape death by Nazis.  In the afternoon we went to see the White Cliffs of Dover, which were very beautiful.  This stop was very relaxing and we could see the coast of France in the distance.  There were no guard rails on the sides, so it was a little bit scary getting towards the edge, as you could fall without too much difficulty and it was a long ways down.  Thankfully no one got hurt and we returned to Cambridge in the evening after a productive and fun weekend.

Here's a link to the album which has Canterbury/Dover pictures: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2247232058863.128614.1190024172&l=0656da4a0a&type=1

No comments:

Post a Comment