Friday, August 26, 2011

Cambridge: Week 7

On Monday, I went to see "Much Ado About Nothing" in the King's College back gardens as part of the summer Cambridge Shakespeare Festival.  PKP purchased tickets for the Shakespeare class and they had some extra, so I was able to go for only 5 pounds when the regular concession price is 11 pounds!  What a deal! =).  It was really nice and thankfully it didn't rain on us.  On Tuesday I went to a British Regional Accents Night where a professor and his actor friend imitated accents from the different regions of the United Kingdom and Ireland.  It was very similar to my Varieties of English class and it was neat hearing other people try out the accents.  One of the funniest parts was when one of the PAs imitated a "California" accent.  I put California in quotations because it was crazy valley girl speech.  It's funny how we're stereotyped like that and in reality sound like normal people =).  On Wednesday there was a formal hall in Pembroke, which was good.

Friday was definitely the most fun because I went to my first ever Salsa class!!!  Despite the fact that some guys were not terribly coordinated/thought it was OK to criticize us when they didn't know what they were doing, it was really fun!  We took a class for 2.5 hours and the time flew by because it was so much fun!  I'm definitely going to look into taking a Salsa class at the UCLA gym during the school year.  On Saturday, Bisera and I explored Cambridge.  We saw a lot of the different colleges and I really got a better feel for the city.  The colleges are all really beautiful and unique, yet also similar.  King's has a really different feel than most of the other colleges we visited.  While a lot of the other colleges have enclosed spaces and courtyards, there's not very much enclosed space at King's at all.  The courtyards are gigantic and open.  On Sunday I met up with Alex!!!  It's incredible that it had been 2.5 months since we'd seen each other.  I gave him my phone number so he could call me when he arrived, but it wasn't working.  Thankfully I ran into him on my way to the train station.  It could have been bad if we hadn't been able to find each other, but the crisis was averted.  By the time we got back to King's and settled in, it was around 4/5pm and a lot of things were closed because it was a Sunday and around closing time for stores here (stores here close anywhere from 5-6pm daily, which is really weird since stores usually stay open a lot later at home).  Anyways, Sunday night became a napping night for Alex (because he was still on CA time and hadn't slept a lot on the plane) and a work/catch up on emails evening for me.

Besides all of these fun activities, I attended class daily and spent a good amount of time working on my paper for my Finance class, with the hope of getting it done before Alex arrived (which I mostly succeeded with!).

No comments:

Post a Comment